- Requires boiling for 5 minutes to fully hydrate.
- Forms higher strength gels than gelatine.
- The coarse mesh helps in dispersion properties.
- Forms perceptible gels with as little as 0.04% concentrations although typically used at much higher levels.
- Gels exhibit hysteresis lag useful in many applications.
- Solubility at 180ºF (82ºC).
Dry and cool (68- 72ºF, 20- 22ºC)
100 mesh Gracalaria Agar
Used in hot flat icings at 0.2%.
For doughnut glazes, higher levels, typically .5% to 1.0% are used to prevent crystallization of sugar, reducing the tendency of the glaze to chip, crack, or weep.
Used in jelly candies, marshmallow from 0.3% to 1.8% to give desired structural effects.
Stabilizes meringue mixtures.
Typical dosage: 0.2-1.0%